bladeRF will not come up as USB 3.0 device

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
mgamble

bladeRF will not come up as USB 3.0 device

Post by mgamble »

I just got my device on Friday and have been trying all weekend to get it to be recognized as a USB 3.0 device under Linux without success - it always comes up as a USB 2.0 device. Reading some other threads and forums I even tried adding a 2 Port USB 3.0 PCI-X card (Renesas / NEC chip) to my system to rule out issues with the motherboard on-board USB but without success - Linux sees the USB 3.0 BUS but always registers the bladeRF as a USB 2.0 device.

I'm currently using the supplied USB 3.0 cable and am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit since I'll be trying to get OpenBTS working but I've also tried Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit on the same machine with no success.

Here's my device info - any ideas on what I can do to troubleshoot why I can't get USB 3 speeds?

mgamble@openbts-dev:~$ bladeRF-cli -i
bladeRF> info

Serial #: a34e580e54f4c743581cee7acb60ca58
VCTCXO DAC calibration: 0x9881
FPGA size: 40 KLE
FPGA loaded: no
USB bus: 5
USB address: 5
USB speed: Hi-Speed
Backend: libusb
Instance: 0

bladeRF> version

bladeRF-cli version: 1.0.0-git-67c5782
libbladeRF version: 1.0.0-git-67c5782

Firmware version: 1.8.0
FPGA version: Unknown (FPGA not loaded)

bladeRF>

Thanks!
mgamble

Re: bladeRF will not come up as USB 3.0 device

Post by mgamble »

Following up on my own question I solved the problem. I swapped the USB3 cable with one I knew worked from an external USB 3 drive and the bladeRF came up as a USB 3.0 device. I guess the cable that shipped with the unit is too long or has some other issue preventing it from syncing at USB 3 speeds?
storm

Post by storm »

I got the same issue, I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 Bit, got my device a few days ago, tried a diffrent cable with no success, any ideas?

Thanks!
storm

Post by storm »

As mgamble did, today I bought USB3 cable and it worked!

Guys, you need to investigate why the USB cable you provide with the device doesn't work...

Thanks mgamble!
jynik

Post by jynik »

If you're having problems with the USB cable that comes with the bladeRF, please report them to [email protected], so this doesn't get overlooked on the forums. It would probably be a good idea to include your order # or order info.
dave0160

Post by dave0160 »

All,

I'd like to add my dittos to this. Using the originally supplied USB3 cable (white) I could only get a Hi-Speed connection. After reading the posts here I bought a $6 cable from Amazon. The cable arrived today, I plugged it in and now I'm running at USB3 speeds.

I'll send an e-mail to Nuand.

Dave