[Solved] Misaligned flash access problem

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
M1AFD

[Solved] Misaligned flash access problem

Post by M1AFD »

I’ve installed the bladerf_win_installer and when I start the CLI I get this error message:

Failed to open device ((null)): Misaligned flash access

Does any know how I can fix this problem?

Thanks

Sukkin
M1AFD
jynik

Re: Misaligned flash access problem

Post by jynik »

Hi there,

I think you're seeing two issues here:
  • A libusb error code has been misinterpreted as a libbladeRF error code. That "Misaligned flash access" error message corresponds to bladeRF error code -9 being passed to bladerf_strerror(). In libusb-land, -9 corresponds to LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE.
  • Whatever the underlying issue is that is causing libusb to fail
I've made a note to look into that first time. I'm not sure if that's already fixed in the latest code, but will look into it since I'll be digging around in that area soon enough.

On the second item, one common issue people run into is that their firmware that's too old for the libbladeRF that the installer provided. Upgrading your firmware might be worth a shot. (We know it's rather crappy that the library isn't smart enough detect and report, "Hey, your firmware is too old!" -- that's an important TO DO item, now that some functionality for identifying FW/FPGA versions exists.)

In addition to trying the firmware update, mind posting back the output for running the bladeRF-cli with verbose output?

Code: Select all

bladeRF-cli -i -v verbose
- Jon
M1AFD

Re: Misaligned flash access problem

Post by M1AFD »

Hi Jon,

I think I had an Windows 7 installation problem. I ticked the Upgrade firmware checkbox and during the firmware upgrade the progress bar didn't really move and it just said finished.

I had to use Force Cypress Bootloader. That didn't work at first because I was using the USB 3 cable. After changing it to an USB2 cable the firmware upgraded ok. I loaded the fpga and the SDR-Radio.

The fun now starts.

Many thanks for your help.

Sukkin
M1AFD