error build_bladerf.sh / build.tcl

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
jeffie

error build_bladerf.sh / build.tcl

Post by jeffie »

HI All,

I'm having some trouble trying to synthesize the vhdl. When I execute:

~/bladeRF/hdl/quartus$ ./build_bladerf.sh -s 40 -r headless

The NIOS and BSP sections work, but when it gets to the FPGA section I get the following error:

Error (10793): VHDL error at bladerf.vhd(7): entity bladerf does not have an architecture File: /home/jeff/bladeRF/hdl/fpga/platforms/bladerf/vhdl/bladerf.vhd Line: 7
Error (12153): Can't elaborate top-level user hierarchy

It seems that quartus and/or the script are getting a little confused with the revision feature. It's been a few years since I've used Quartus so I'm not familiar with the details of revisions. I've checked that all files are where they belong ( git works just fine ).

The problem occurs for all revisions. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04

Thanks
Jeff
jeffie

Re: error build_bladerf.sh / build.tcl

Post by jeffie »

Solved(?)

I finally gave up, removed bladerf and reloaded clean from the repository.

Repeated the touchups required for Quartus sp13, Ubuntu 12.02, and viola, it works. I think it has something to do with the fixes necessary for the NIOS system. Anyway, I'm back in business.
briany1000

Post by briany1000 »

I am having this exact same problem, just with the headless revision - other revisions (hosted, qpsk_tx) are just fine. In view of the problems noted by others with Quartus 13, I have actually got both version 13.1 and 12.1sp1 of Quartus set up, however both of them give the same problem with the headless build when the build.tcl script is run. I'm using Quartus on Windows 7 - I would prefer not to use Windows but had a lot of trouble with the Ubuntu setup so gave up! Anyway even Quartus 13.1 seems to work very well on Windows with either the command line scripts or the GUI so everything will be fine once I can fix this headless error.

Poking around the code in the repository, I see there isn't a specific *.qip file for the headless revision (/hdl/fpga/platforms/bladerf ) whereas the other revisions do have one - might the problem be to do with the headless revision build defaulting to the bladerf.qip setup, which isn't configured correctly? Any pointers gratefully received!

Brian
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

Yeah I haven't actually used the headless version in quite some time. In fact, the only one I currently use or know is up to date and working is the hosted FPGA image.

Are you re-writing the software for the NIOS as well to be completely self sufficient? Can you post the log so we can see the exact error you are getting?

Brian
briany1000

Post by briany1000 »

Hi Brian, the forum doesn't allow me to upload the log so I've pasted the relevant bit in below. I can send the whole log if you can tell me where to.
At this stage I am simply trying to understand the differences between the hosted and headless versions, so I haven't got very far.... The next step would be to implement an example application on the FPGA to run on a standalone basis - I have some gnuradio derived code which receives and decodes aircraft ADS-B position and data messages and was planning to pull the guts out of the gnuradio stuff and run in on the FPGA. Going forward I am involved in some work on the application of SDR to CubeSat and small satellite data communications so this would be a natural next step.

Rgds

Brian (also Brian!)

Log extract:
Info: *******************************************************************
Info: Running Quartus II 32-bit Shell
Info: Version 12.1 Build 243 01/31/2013 Service Pack 1 SJ Web Edition
Info: Copyright (C) 1991-2012 Altera Corporation. All rights reserved.
Info: Your use of Altera Corporation's design tools, logic functions
Info: and other software and tools, and its AMPP partner logic
Info: functions, and any output files from any of the foregoing
Info: (including device programming or simulation files), and any
Info: associated documentation or information are expressly subject
Info: to the terms and conditions of the Altera Program License
Info: Subscription Agreement, Altera MegaCore Function License
Info: Agreement, or other applicable license agreement, including,
Info: without limitation, that your use is for the sole purpose of
Info: programming logic devices manufactured by Altera and sold by
Info: Altera or its authorized distributors. Please refer to the
Info: applicable agreement for further details.
Info: Processing started: Wed Feb 26 08:27:17 2014
Info: Command: quartus_sh -t ../build.tcl -rev headless -size 40
Info: Quartus(args): -rev headless -size 40
Info: *******************************************************************
Info: Running Quartus II 32-bit Analysis & Synthesis
Info: Version 12.1 Build 243 01/31/2013 Service Pack 1 SJ Web Edition
Info: Processing started: Wed Feb 26 08:27:24 2014
Info: Command: quartus_map --read_settings_files=on --write_settings_files=off bladerf -c headless
Warning (20028): Parallel compilation is not licensed and has been disabled
Info (12021): Found 1 design units, including 1 entities, in source file /blade-headless2/hdl/fpga/platforms/bladerf/vhdl/bladerf.vhd
Info (12023): Found entity 1: bladerf
Info (12127): Elaborating entity "bladerf" for the top level hierarchy
Error (10793): VHDL error at bladerf.vhd(27): entity bladerf does not have an architecture File: C:/blade-headless2/hdl/fpga/platforms/bladerf/vhdl/bladerf.vhd Line: 27
Error (12153): Can't elaborate top-level user hierarchy
Error: Quartus II 32-bit Analysis & Synthesis was unsuccessful. 2 errors, 1 warning
Error: Peak virtual memory: 333 megabytes
Error: Processing ended: Wed Feb 26 08:27:27 2014
Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:03
Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:02
Result: ERROR: Error(s) found while running an executable. See report file(s) for error message(s). Message log indicates which executable was run last.

Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script ../build.tcl unsuccessful
Error: Quartus II 32-bit Shell was unsuccessful. 8 errors, 1 warning
Error: Peak virtual memory: 156 megabytes
Error: Processing ended: Wed Feb 26 08:27:28 2014
Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:11
Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:01
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

Alright - this is enough for me. Looks like it isn't being setup to find the architecture for the headless version.

From a practicality standpoint, the hosted and headless will be the same except for the software in the NIOS. I'll take a look at this tonight and get it checked into master.

I'll also try to break it out so you can make new software or have a new NIOS system and know how to point it over to that. It should be pretty simple.

Sorry for the confusion, but your project sounds really cool!

Brian
briany1000

Post by briany1000 »

Thanks for your help on this.

Btw I think the bladeRF is a very nice product with good info and howtos - I have had NO problems whatsoever getting it running and integrating with gnuradio, this includes building the libraries and gnuradio for an ARM embedded Linux box (Odroid XU). This is another possible route to a headless setup allowing the full gnuradio functionality, you interact with it using remote desktop over ethernet, possibly wifi subject to noise constraints.

Brian