[Solved] Installation issue on Windows 7

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
santoshseran

[Solved] Installation issue on Windows 7

Post by santoshseran »

Hi,

I am trouble installing the windows 7.I followed the instruction given at http://www.scan-ne.net/bladerf/bladerfwin7.html. I am getting the no devices attached while running the bladeRF-CLi. I tried it on both USB 3.0 and Uwb 2.0. Any help with this issue is appreciated.

Thanks
Santosh
jynik

Re: Installation issue on Windows 7

Post by jynik »

Could you please run and share the output from:

Code: Select all

bladeRF-cli.exe -i -v verbose
Does the device show up in device manager? Could you share some details about your machine (OS, USB host controllers, etc.)?
santoshseran

Post by santoshseran »

Hi Jynik,

The output of the command

C:\Program Files (x86)\bladeRF\x86>bladeRF-cli.exe -i -v verbose
[VERBOSE] Using libusb version: <= 1.0.9
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 8086, PID 1e26
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 8086, PID 1e2d
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 046d, PID c52b
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 04b4, PID 00f3
[DEBUG] Couldn't populate devinfo - LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED
[DEBUG] Could not open FX3 bootloader device: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 04f2, PID b2ea
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 0a5c, PID 21e6
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 147e, PID 2020
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 8087, PID 0024
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 8087, PID 0024
[VERBOSE] Non-bladeRF device found: VID 8086, PID 1e31
[DEBUG] No devices available on the libusb backend.
No device(s) attached.
bladeRF>

The device does show up in the device manager. Attached here is the image of the device manager.

The machine that i am using is 64 bit machine (Thinkpad W530) with 32GB Ram Intet i7-3630QM processor. The host USB Controller is
Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller

Thanks
Santosh
jynik

Post by jynik »

Have you tried upgrading your firmware to the latest and greatest? Since the the host-side code is being rapidly development, old firmware sometimes tends to fail in strange ways. (As the host-side codebase stables out, we'll aim to do a better job to make it clear to the user that the firmware version is the issue at hand.)

There's some notes abd videos regarding this on the wiki.

A whlie back I also covered a similar procedure of entering the bootloader, loading firmware into RAM, and then writing the firmware to flash via the jumper method and the bladeRF-CLI, in this thread. Note that you can ignore all the business of disabling FPGA autoloading and booting firmware version v1.5.3 -- that was all due to some firmware compatibility gotchas.

You'll want to download the v1.6.1 firmware image from the nuand site.

For what it's worth, I believe we have the same laptop, so I'm quite sure you should be able to get things up and running. :)

- Jon
santoshseran

Post by santoshseran »

Hi Jon,

It worked. Thanks.

I am currently planning to build a radar and I am new to bladeRf. I need suggestions on how to get started for programming bladerf.

Thanks
Santosh
jynik

Post by jynik »

Hi there Santosh,

I'm happy to hear that you're up and running! I'm going to mark the subject [SOLVED] so that this thread might catch the attention of any folks experiencing similar issues.

As far as getting started, there a number of ways to go... but here are a few quick thoughts, for what they're worth:
  • You can use the bladeRF-cli program to transmit and receive samples. This might be handy for initial experiements, where you'd encode/decode signals offline in Matlab/octave/etc. You can use CSV (might not work great at higher sample rates), or the native DAC format, which is SC16Q11 -- basically a pair of [-2047, 2047] int16_t I/Q values to achieve approximately ~(-1.0, 1.0).
  • libbladeRF (or bladeRF.dll in Windows) is the primary interface through which one interacts with the device. If you have Doxygen installed, I'd recommend building the docs. If not, HoopyCat kindly builds and posts them nightly here: http://hoopycat.com/bladerf_builds/late ... F_doxygen/
  • For *nix users, I'd generally recommend playing around with some existiong GNU Radio flowgraphs that are relevant to their objectives
  • I know absolutely nothing about radar, so I can't be much help there. However, I recall that someone else was interested in radar -- It might be a good idea to bump that thread and try to get a discussion going on what's needed.