problem with usb3 expresscard

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
soshini

problem with usb3 expresscard

Post by soshini »

hi everyone
i have a usb3 expresscard on my laptop
when i connect my bladerf to expresscard usb3 port windows recognize it but bladerf-cli dont show any device.
my expresscard host controller is NEC.
i have windows 7 64 bit
my bladerf work well on usb2.
blagoja

Re: problem with usb3 expresscard

Post by blagoja »

Hello,

I'm also planning to order usb3 expresscard for my "old" laptop in order to use bladerf for higher data transfers (wider spectrum).
The express card whcih I'm interesed is with NEC D720200 chipset since in the working configurations have found a case with Onboard NEC uPD720200 xHCI controller or chipset. (https://github.com/Nuand/bladeRF/wiki/Troubleshooting)

Could you tell me which NEC chipset has your express card?

Anybody has experience with usb3 express card and bladerf?

BR,
Blagoja
soshini

Post by soshini »

my model is of soyntec
http://www.soyntec.com/item/77666
jynik

Post by jynik »

I suspect that the underlying problem is that libusb isn't seeing the device. You can verify this by running the listdevs.exe program that's included in the libusb binary distribution (under examples/bin64). If this doesn't show your device, my above guess is correct. If this lists your device, but bladeRF-cli does not...then the problem lies in our code. In this case, keep us posted and we'll dig further.

If it ends up being the case that libusb isn't seeing devices attached to your express card, you might want to look over the libusb mailing list and issue tracker to see if there's any known workarounds.

LazyDodo is working on a native Windows backend, so hopefully we'll have that merged into master within a few weeks. I suspect you'll have more luck with that once we get his code integrated into the libbladeRF mainline.
jynik

Post by jynik »

Just another thought -- I see that card has/requires external DC power. Are you supplying power to that?

You could also try powering the bladeRF from the DC barrel jack rather than from USB (check jumper J70 on the schematic) and see if that resolves any issues.
soshini

Post by soshini »

listdevs.exe doesnt show my device so your guess is correct and problem lies on libusb
thanks