gnuradio 3.7 compatibility bladeRF and installation [SOLVED]

Discussions related to embedded firmware, driver, and user mode application software development
andrew77

gnuradio 3.7 compatibility bladeRF and installation [SOLVED]

Post by andrew77 »

Hello,
After several tries of gnuradio 3.7 installation on Kali Linux I decided to switch off Kali and use ubuntu 14 trusty.
I tried to install gnuradio 3.7, after uninstalling the 3.6.5 version from my new version of kali 1.1.0, but did not success becaue of the following reasons:

1: from source: libpaths did not matched, and incompatibility version
2: from pybombs: I had to upgrade libboost from 1.49 to 1.53 (by ubuntu universe repositories) resulting of system instability, and at the end could not install gnuradio because the installation of pycairo did not succeded
PC: nb hp 2510p 2GHz dualcore, 2GB ram usb2.0 and hp pavillion15 , usb3.0, 4gB ram quadcore amd
Now I have the GNU Radio Live SDR Environment from ubuntu 14 and gnuradio with my bladerf works very well!
Enjoy
Last edited by andrew77 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Heyoka

Re: gnuradio 3.7 compatibility bladeRF and installation

Post by Happy Heyoka »

I'm using Trusty too (Kubuntu 14.04 actually)

Trying to use the various PPAs is a nightmare... too many cooks, I think.
Also some kind of persistent problem with osmo stuff not coping with libbladerf1 (vs libbladerf0)

I have got the pybombs approach to work - the trick for boost is to modify the recipes that have a problem, for example in file gqrx.lwr change the BOOST_SUFFIX

Code: Select all

configure {                                                                                                                                               
    qmake BOOST_SUFFIX=-mt                                                                                                                                
 } 

becomes

configure {                                                                                                                                               
    qmake                                                                                                                                                 
 } 

I have boost version 1.54 from Ubuntu repos - apparently Ubuntu Boost builds skip the '-mt' suffix while building Boost from source has it.

I am using the bladeRF library from the PPA.

I put the results of pybombs into a folder in my home path, outside of the normal Python and ldconfig paths - you will need to mess with your .profile to set the path for Python and shared libraries to suit.
Oh, it seems that you get better results building libosmocore and libosmo-dsp from source.
Make sure you check for previous gnuradio installs and especially previous mods to PATH, PYTHONPATH and your library paths... that tripped me up for a while.
andrew77

Post by andrew77 »

thanks for the info, I really appreciate

I tested both pybombs and sourcecode on Kali linux but they failed

I yet have to try pybombs on my Ubuntu14.04.2LTS trusty (that is the version suggested and provided by the Live DVD gnuradio), I hope it gives me the latest grc version;
instead the synaptic manager of ubuntu gives the grc 3,7,2,1 version and rg-osmocom results broken!
I-m new user of linux
I will let you know
bye
Hamza

Post by Hamza »

i used the following for my Ubuntu14.04.2LTS gnuradio installation , hope that works for you too ..

mkdir gnuradio
cd gnuradio
wget http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio && chmod a+x ./build-gnuradio && ./build-gnuradio
A caution . it takes some time to complete .. :)
andrew77

Post by andrew77 »

Unfortunately I couldn't install guradio (pybombs) on my 14.04.2 LTS AMD64 (HP pavilion) because I had problem installing QT4 (python lib qwt5-qt4),
have you had similar problems?
andrew77

Post by andrew77 »

Solved!

In order to install QT4 I had to install libgl1-mesa-dev-lts-utopic to solve all the dipendences