XB 200 - Firmware Update

Discussions related to embedded firmware, driver, and user mode application software development
bpadalino

Re: XB 200 - Firmware Update

Post by bpadalino »

Hi Simon,

To help figure out the problem, can you set the verbosity of the logging to debug in the library itself and give us the output? It could potentially contain such useful information as:
[DEBUG] sync_rx: Worker is idle. Going to reset buf mgmt.
[DEBUG] sync_rx: Reset buf_mgmt consumer index
[DEBUG] sync_rx: Worker is now running.
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 6
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 1
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 28
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 14
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 11
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 30
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 29
If that is happening, you'll have discontinuities everywhere. Also, are you doing this with an XB-200 attached or only the bare bladeRF? What are your gains set at when you see the issue? Can you try setting the output of the FPGA to be the 32-bit counter mode and see if you get discontinuities?

I want to rule out and see if it is a way in which the samples are getting to your host, or if it is a problem in the way the LMS part is being configured.

Brian
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

Going back through your logs I see that you end up setting RXVGA1 to 30dB and RXVGA2 to 20dB. It's recommended in the LMS6002D FAQ in section 5.18 to remove gain from RXVGA2 followed by RXVGA1 followed by the LNA. Can you try to ensure you remove gain in such a fashion? I've seen some interesting things happen when the gain stages are in weird configurations.

Brian
bpadalino

Post by bpadalino »

One last thing - the screen shot you posted says the LPF is bypassed which you should not do unless you are already bandlimiting your input signal at the RF input.

The log states the LPF is in Normal mode.

Do you notices differences when you have it bypassed versus in normal mode?

Brian
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

Jon,

FWIW there are no problems with data overruns or underruns, the data is streaming perfectly.
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

bpadalino wrote:Hi Simon,

To help figure out the problem, can you set the verbosity of the logging to debug in the library itself and give us the output? It could potentially contain such useful information as:
[DEBUG] sync_rx: Worker is idle. Going to reset buf mgmt.
[DEBUG] sync_rx: Reset buf_mgmt consumer index
[DEBUG] sync_rx: Worker is now running.
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 6
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 1
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 28
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 14
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 11
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 30
[DEBUG] RX overrun @ buffer 29
If that is happening, you'll have discontinuities everywhere. Also, are you doing this with an XB-200 attached or only the bare bladeRF? What are your gains set at when you see the issue? Can you try setting the output of the FPGA to be the 32-bit counter mode and see if you get discontinuities?

I want to rule out and see if it is a way in which the samples are getting to your host, or if it is a problem in the way the LMS part is being configured.

Brian
Brian - you've lost me totally here, this is why talking on SKYPE would achieve a great deal in a short space of time.

* Do you want me to generate this output from my own software or your utilities?
* How do I set the FPGA to 32-bit?

No doubt this is in the FAQ somewhere...
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

bpadalino wrote:Going back through your logs I see that you end up setting RXVGA1 to 30dB and RXVGA2 to 20dB. It's recommended in the LMS6002D FAQ in section 5.18 to remove gain from RXVGA2 followed by RXVGA1 followed by the LNA. Can you try to ensure you remove gain in such a fashion? I've seen some interesting things happen when the gain stages are in weird configurations.

Brian
Brian,

Sadly no change - overall gain changes as expected, data still as shown in the screenshot.
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

bpadalino wrote:One last thing - the screen shot you posted says the LPF is bypassed which you should not do unless you are already bandlimiting your input signal at the RF input.

The log states the LPF is in Normal mode.

Do you notices differences when you have it bypassed versus in normal mode?

Brian
Brian,

I've tried many combinations as I was also thinking along the same lines. Bypass / anything makes no difference, in fact the changes made to the gains and LNA make no difference, I'm convinced the issue is in the area of firmware / libusb. I'm just about to try libusb 1.0.19, then I'll put together a full static build of all the code (libusb, libbladerf) and take it from there.
SDR-Radio.com

Post by SDR-Radio.com »

One thing I failed to mention - I am using Windows 8.1 .
jynik

Post by jynik »

Mind if I mark this thread solved, due to issues being resolved via the upgrade to libusb v1.0.19? Also -- the Windows 8.1 + libusb issue seems to be consistent with what was reported earlier -- thanks...that's a very good thing for us to be aware of. (When I get some more time, an alternative driver to libusb is in the works for Windows...so we're not at the mercy of libusb working on all systems.)

I just like to avoid creating this frustrating situation for people.