Best ways to help with SW development?

Discussions related to embedded firmware, driver, and user mode application software development
Tim

Best ways to help with SW development?

Post by Tim »

This weekend I was finally able to build everything, get my board up and running, and finally download samples (albeit with some minor difficulty).

I'd like to contribute to the project, so what's the best way to get started? Pick off issues on github? Documentation? Try to break things and submit bug reports?

I've got a background in embedded Linux systems, a degree in EE, and my goal (aside from contributing to the community) is to improve my RF/DSP knowledge. I've done a fair amount of hacking on Linux, including in kernelspace.
bpadalino

Re: Best ways to help with SW development?

Post by bpadalino »

Yes!

We've currently got a libusb development going that we will soon be bringing in so help eliminate the weirdness in the kernel.

We have no idea idea why the 3.2 kernel doesn't show up at all. If you want to try to tackle Documentation, that would be awesome - but I think the issues in general would be better served for the community. Getting the little bugs out of the way and just trying to figure out what is wrong in the small corner cases would be great.

Feel free to ask for clarification, or check out #bladerf on freenode for more real-time chat.

Also, thanks for your support!
cbalke

Post by cbalke »

I figured out why kernels below 3.3 won't work and put a patch on pastebin.
I also need to figure out how to make a real patch file.

http://pastebin.com/tutKGHPx
lousyg

Post by lousyg »

cbalke wrote:I also need to figure out how to make a real patch file.
I can help with that! Copy the top-level source directory to [NAME].b or something similar. Then...

Code: Select all

diff -Naur [SOURCE_DIR] [SOURCE_DIR.B]
> fix.patch
cbalke

Post by cbalke »

Thanks for the help, I created the patch.
I put it on pastebin because I can't attach a txt or patch file.

http://pastebin.com/EKA08SyS