Female USB 3.0 connector on x115 broken

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
Montezuma

Female USB 3.0 connector on x115 broken

Post by Montezuma »

I had my x115 sitting on my desk, about to disconnect is from my "lego'ed" desktop(put parts together myself, from retail and OEM parts), to one of my MacBook Pros(one of the few uses I ever had for the Bitcoins I collectors a few years ago, yay price spike!). The board shifted, the blue USB 3.0 cable connected to the bladeRF x115 butted against the wall in my office, and two issues occurred. One, the metal outer cover on the female USB 3.0 connector broke one the side nearest the female DC barrel connector, and two, I discovered that there was no solder holding the 10 metal pins on the back of the female connector to the board itself.

I am going to replace the USB connector, but I need to know exactly what part information is available so that I obtain the correct item. I know the connector is made by Amphenol, but is there anything else that I need to know, so that I don't order the wrong connector? In fact, does anyone have the exact part number, or a link to the exact part I need to get? Has anyone else had to replace the female USB connector on a bladeRF, and is there anything anyone has run into that wasn't initially expected?

It would be easy to simply toss this board aside, or in the trash, but considering the $650 price I paid for the x115, the $50.00 I paid for the GPIO board, and the $200 I paid for the XB-200 LF/MF/HF/VHF transverter board, I am not keen on abandoning the money put into this platform, at this time. I have been able to test the board, to see if any other problems might keep this x115 from functioning, but the board, aside from the USB 3.0 female port, is functioning correctly(testing using bench power supply, and JTAG hardware. I used a Segger J-Link and a JTAGulator to test both the FX3 and FPGA JTAG posts).

EDIT 1

Well, I cannot locate some of my tools which would make SMD work "easy"(or, rather, easier, depending on whom you ask). Would Nuand be willing and/or able to do repairs for me? As I said, I have tested the board, and everything else is working, just the USB port as been damaged(the black plastic and copper insert has come out, but the metal surround is still, for the most part, still attached). If repairs are offered, or even considered(I expect, obviously, for a price, USD only, I am saving blood and ritualistic sacrifice charges for another project), please, let me know.

Thank you.
jynik

Re: Female USB 3.0 connector on x115 broken

Post by jynik »

Hi Montezuma,

Before you undertake an rework attempts, why don't you shoot an email to [email protected]. Please include the quick description you have here and a picture or two of the situation. I'll ensure the team can take a look and see what can be offered.

I think I can speak for the other folks on the Nuand team when I say we don't want anyone attempting "blood and ritualistic sacrifice." ;)

Best regards,
Jon
piranha32

Re: Female USB 3.0 connector on x115 broken

Post by piranha32 »

Montezuma wrote: ...
I am going to replace the USB connector, but I need to know exactly what part information is available so that I obtain the correct item. I know the connector is made by Amphenol, but is there anything else that I need to know, so that I don't order the wrong connector? In fact, does anyone have the exact part number, or a link to the exact part I need to get? Has anyone else had to replace the female USB connector on a bladeRF, and is there anything anyone has run into that wasn't initially expected?
I also had a problem with USB connector on my board (just a different kind), and I decided to replace it myself. I wrote a short description of the issues I had: http://rroeng.blogspot.com/2015/05/prob ... aderf.html
What I can recommend is that if you don't have good experience in doing SMD rework, request a RMA from Nuand. Replacing the connector is not an easy task, it's very easy to damage the board, and in the end replacement board will cost you much more than the repair.