USB socket fell off

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
richardb

USB socket fell off

Post by richardb »

Gah! I've been having trouble with my BladeRF for a bit, and I finally know why: my USB port fell off. I was checking the cabling *one more time*, when I noticed that the cable was in at an odd angle. I tried reseating it, only to have the entire USB 3 port assembly come off.

So, I guess I'll need to resolder that, which will be rather tricky. Is there any other way that doesn't require such delicate soldering? Can the contacts on the edge of the board be used for this?

And why oh why wasn't the USB socket assembly better secured to the board? The free-floating design put all of the strain on the very weak solder joints, and they must have been under pressure as the cables moved....
jynik

Re: USB socket fell off

Post by jynik »

Hi there,

Before attempting any rework on it, why don't you send an email to [email protected], so the team can assess the situation there. It'd be helpful if you'd include some high resolution pictures of the pads/traces on on the board where the connector mounts, and include your original order number.

Best regards,
Jon
richardb

Post by richardb »

Jon, I'll send the photos shortly.
piranha32

Post by piranha32 »

If you don't have a bit of experience with working with SMD components and proper equipment (hot air and preheater are necessary), I don't recommend to rework the connector. I also had problem with connector on my board, and I can tell you that it's not a job for a beginner. In my case the plastic insert insert felt out, what was most likely caused by bad design of the component (by Amphenol): http://rroeng.blogspot.com/2015/01/prob ... aderf.html
dave

Post by dave »

I've done pretty much the same thing -- but in my case the damage was visible, with part of the metal shell of the connector losing contact with the PCB. The cable was seated in the connector at the time -- in fact, I had been leaving the cable in place nearly always, fearing that the connector (or anyway its plastic insert) would fail from insert/remove cycles. Instead, I think the cable pried the entire connector upward from the PCB.

I've obtained the replacement Amphenol part (several, since they're cheap and I want to tear some of them apart and understand them) -- but I am still trying to decide whether the re-work is within my skill. Given Piranha's advice of May 14, and the failure of my previous attempt (story below), I'm thinking no.

My next step will probably be to follow the advice that Jon gave the original poster, and take some images.

<STORY TIME>

The metal shell of the connector is a C shape with the seam on the bottom, i.e. the PCB-facing side. Mine stayed soldered down on one side of the seam, while one side evidently got torqued up by the cable. On the damaged side, the pins carry power and legacy USB signals. These pins were still aligned over their pads and, if I held the connector down by finger pressure, the board would enumerate. On the other side (where the shell was still soldered to the PCB), the pins carry the SuperSpeed signals. I could not determine (given the quality of my eyes and magnifiers) whether those pins were still properly soldered, but certainly they were properly aligned.

I therefore attempted a repair consisting of clamping down the pried-up side of the metal shell and re-soldering it to the PCB. This failed because, in applying the required heat to the metal shell, I damaged the plastic insert.

(While not disputing Piranha's idea of a design weakness in the connector, I'd say the whole idea of a purely surface-mounted USB3 connector sounds iffy to me. Given the mass that a USB3 cable must have with its shielding and all, and the size of the connector on the cable side in order to *prevent* trashing it, I bet there are all kinds of non-abusive-looking scenarios where the cable will either pull the connector from its pads, or the pads from the substrate. At any rate, in this case what failed was the metal shell's hold on the PCB. The plastic insert failure was secondary, due to botched repair of the first failure.)

</STORY TIME>
Dave Aragon
University of Washington, Seattle
Senior Member, IEEE
piranha32

Post by piranha32 »

I had to replace the connector twice. First time I wanted to limit myself to just basic tools - soldering iron ad hot air. This turned out to be a partial failure. Because of problems with the connector, and big thermal mass of the board, I wasn't able to solder the part properly and the board did not enumerate at ultra speed (USB2 worked correctly). I posted the story on my blog: http://rroeng.blogspot.com/2015/05/prob ... aderf.html
You will also find there a link to the connector I used (USB3.1, with better mechanical design). I was more lucky the second time, but this time I preheated the board before rework. This made a whole world of difference.
vonStierlitz

Post by vonStierlitz »

Just received my x115

I believe there are at least two versions of the socket and as mine does NOT have the two holes at the top where the inner plastic clicks into place (which failed for one user), not sure whether this is an earlier or later version. Instead the metal loops over the back of the socket back into the plastic (will put a photo up later when I get home).

EDIT:
Piranha32.. it seems I have a USB connector similar to your 'replacement' already on my new x115 board - this makes me think that Nuand has changed the connector due to the issues you had....
Last edited by vonStierlitz on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piranha32

Post by piranha32 »

vonStierlitz wrote:Just received my x115
EDIT:
Piranha32.. it seems I have a USB connector similar to your 'replacement' already on my new x115 board - this makes me think that Nuand has changed the connector due to the issues you had....
I communicated to Rob my opinion about the original connector, and why I thought the USB3.1 version was better. I'm glad to see that he agreed with it :)
dave

Post by dave »

vonStierlitz wrote:I might have to mount the board inside a another case (I have the clear plastic case) with an USB extension lead to another socket. This will guarantee no failure one hopes... but it is an extreme measure...
That isn't extreme, it's moderate. Extreme is what I'm thinking of: package the bladeRF, a USB3 hub, and a 5v linear power supply in a metal box with RF shielding everywhere, such that no human agency will ever touch or move anything on the USB-and-power edge of that PCB ever again, nor will the USB jack ever be tempted to soften its little 0.6mm-pitched pin pads by trying to power the board through them.

(Although extreme, even this is a compromise from my original plan, which was to take the above measures plus pledging that my firstborn son would enter the clergy. The son vetoed that part, so I am back to a purely technical approach.)
Dave Aragon
University of Washington, Seattle
Senior Member, IEEE
vonStierlitz

Post by vonStierlitz »

Well a good idea.

My further thoughts was the x115 in a case with an extension to a front mounted USB socket and the TX/RX connected to a cavity duplexer and an RF pre amp to a front mounted SMA socket and with PSU all inside the same casing.

This would give me a portable GSM/UMTS BTS that I simply connect to a laptop and power and antenna...

Solving the potential USB issue and expanding the capabilities of the x115 inside one project box.

The more I think about it the more I like your idea :)

I realize I am woefully useless as an RF engineer knowing absolutel nothing so if this sounds idiotic do please feel free to comment :)