bladeRF x40 Ham radio

Off topic threads and discussions
jxgreen5

bladeRF x40 Ham radio

Post by jxgreen5 »

Hello,
I am considering purchasing a bladeRF x40 and was wondering if it can be used to transmit and revive ham waves. I was also wondering if Yate and YateBTS are like openBTS.
bglod

Re: bladeRF x40 Ham radio

Post by bglod »

The bladeRF will require the XB-200 transverter to access frequencies below 300 MHz. The XB-200 will let you get down to tens of KHz. It has on-board filters for 50-54 MHz (6m band), 149-159 MHz, and 206-235 MHz. There is also a custom filter path that will let you install your own filter, if needed.

YateBTS is similar to OpenBTS in that it is a GSM base station software. Both support bladeRF.
Electrical Engineer
Nuand, LLC.
rshill

Post by rshill »

I'm selling my SDR with transverter board for $195. This would give you the ability to access HAM bands.

https://www.tindie.com/products/rshill/ ... ter-board/
jxgreen5

Post by jxgreen5 »

What type of microphone could i use to transmit and recive ham bands? Also what software is capable of doing such that along with reciving waves? Is YateBTS legal and how would you program a sim card?
bglod

Post by bglod »

Our SDR interfaces with a computer host. You can use any microphone that a computer can use. For software, Gqrx or GNU Radio would work. These are Linux applications.

YateBTS (and other BTS software) is legal if you're operating in ISM bands under the power limitations set forth by your local governing body for those band(s). If you want to operate on other bands, you'd need a license. Licenses are only required when transmitting. You can receive all you want without a license. Note that operating a rogue base station on a commercial GSM/LTE/etc. band is highly illegal and not recommended.

To setup a SIM card, etc. refer to the folks and documentation over at YateBTS as that's their area of expertise.
Electrical Engineer
Nuand, LLC.
jxgreen5

Post by jxgreen5 »

So I would need a license to make calls over a yatebts network?