Noaa satellite and transverter

Discussions related to schematic capture, PCB layout, signal integrity, and RF development
Robbal

Noaa satellite and transverter

Post by Robbal »

Hi Guys

Newbie here. Is it possible to receive 137mhz with the Bladerf and transverter board.

Thanks in advance

Robby
txjacob

Re: Noaa satellite and transverter

Post by txjacob »

You should be able to, although I don't think there is a built in filter for that frequency. It may help if you put an FM trap on it.
Robbal

Post by Robbal »

Ok so its possible... Great :lol:

Yes I noticed that there is no filter for 137.00. Is it possible to create my own filter and how does one do that. I have seen custom.
Being a newbee, I am finding the Bladerf a very steep learning curve and love the hardware but find the wiki and documentation very high level and at times beyond my understanding ... All a challenge thought.

Thanks

Robby
bglod

Post by bglod »

Yes, it is possible. You may be able to get away with the custom filter path without filtering (just a straight-through SMA cable to jumper J8 to J9). If you find that you need a filter, you can buy a COTS solution, or design your own.

Some folks have already done the design work for a 137 MHz bandpass filter so you should be able to just take the components and solder them together.

If you want something COTS, filtering out those loud FM signals with an FM notch is probably good enough as txjacob mentioned. A simple high-pass might also work as long as the insertion loss at 137 MHz is sufficiently low (<1 or 2 dB). The Mini-Circuits SHP-150+ might work for this purpose, but feel free to check out DigiKey/Mouser/etc. for other options!
Electrical Engineer
Nuand, LLC.
Robbal

Post by Robbal »

Thank you very much