Multiple Bladerf usage [Solved]

Having issues with the site, hardware, source code, or any other issues?
Hamza

Multiple Bladerf usage [Solved]

Post by Hamza »

My application involves using multiple bladeRFs at the same time. i want to transmit a given tone signal via a particular bladerf and other through 2nd Bladerf both connected on different usb ports of my laptop. i am using a single Osmocom Sink block and using Num Channels value as 2 to allow simultaneous operation of 2 bladerfs. However i am unable to comprehend the way GRC gives the id i-e [bladeRF sink] Using nuand LLC bladeRF #0 SN d543.. or [bladeRF sink] Using nuand LLC bladeRF #1 SN 3d83 to either bladerfs. the only part i am sure is that it is not dependent upon Serial number of bladerf. is it dependent upon the usb addresses or wat ? (ID changes as i switch between various usb ports)

Secondly can i direct a signal onto a particular bladerf using its serial number or any other such property, maybe through Device Arguments field etc in Osmocom Block ? if yes then How ?

Thanks in Advance ..
Last edited by Hamza on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
jynik

Re: Multipe Bladerf usage

Post by jynik »

Hi there Hamza,

Using the osomocom source/sink blocks, you'd need 1 block per bladeRF, rather than a single block with multiple channels. The bladerf=<instance> device parameter (http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/GrOsmo ... SourceSink) is what you could use, where the "instance" value corresponds to what you've seen in the log for "bladerf #0" or "bladerf #1." This instance is simply the Nth bladeRF that is found when probing for devices, and is 0-indexed.

So for instance, "bladerf=0" for one, and "bladerf=1" for the other. I belive you should be able to probe in the CLI, and make note of the order of detected devices and their serial numbers. Then you could assign bladerf=0 through bladerf=N from your probe results.

Being able to specify the bladeRF by serial is not implemented in gr-osmosdr, but would definitely be a welcome patch, I'm sure. This section of the libbladeRF docs shows an example of opening a device via its serial number. Perhaps bladerf=0 through bladerf=99 could be assumed to be instance #, whereas anything else could be treated as a serial number.

Hope that helps,
Jon
Hamza

Re: Multipe Bladerf usage

Post by Hamza »

Hi Jon,

That was indeed very useful. Helped me in better understanding of basic concepts.

Stay Blessed
Regards!